Saturday, July 4, 2009

Brandon Finegold Day 3 post

Yesterday we took a guided tour to the Poa Volcano, the Vargas Coffee fields, and the Goods Factory shopping area. I had a good time and the tourguide was very enthusiastic and taught us a lot.. The volcano was completely cloud covered when we reached the top (almost 8000 ft above sea level). We waited almost a half hour, staring at the white, but never got to see anything. We did hear the activity and smell the sulfur admissions though. I will spare any coffee details for the real coffee trip.

I have had a good time being in Costa Rica. Some of the things I’ve noticed…

The food is great and the people are very friendly. Everyone is proud of their country (which, according to our tour guide, has the best economy in Latin America).

Outside our hotel within one block there is a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC. What, no Wendy’s? There are plenty of local options too but there is always a line at the American restaurants. Oh yeah, the first restaurant I saw after getting off the airplane was a Schlotsky’s. Glad my people have made it down here too…

I wish there was a place I could bet on the population of San Jose EXPLODING in about 2 months. This is the most pregnant women I have ever seen in my life.

The speed limit on the highway is 50 km/hr. The speed limit on mountains with twisting roads and hairpin turns and no guard rails? You guessed it: 50 km/hr.

In the shower today my face soap went over my nose and when I exhaled it blew a bubble that went completely over my mouth. This has nothing to do with Costa Rica but I’ve never done that before!

We were lucky enough to get a room with a view of the plaza outside our hotel. There is a mariachi trumpeter who plays all night at regular 5 minute intervals. In related news, I didn’t sleep much.

Despite the lack of sleep I have been loving every minute of this trip! At 3 PM MT we are being picked up by the Earthwatch people. I’m looking forward to the expedition, even if it is a little work. I hopefully will have an internet feed at some point there and will write again. Until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment